Through his operas, his symphonies, his compositions for his own ensemble, and his wide-ranging collaborations with artists ranging from Twyla Tharp to Allen Ginsberg, Woody Allen to David Bowie, Philip Glass has had an extraordinary and unprecedented impact upon the musical and intellectual life of his times. The operas - “Einstein on the Beach,” “Satyagraha,” and “Akhnaten,” among many others - play throughout the world's leading houses, and rarely to an empty seat. Glass has written music for experimental theater and for Academy Award-winning motion pictures. Glass is the first composer to win a wide, multi-generational audience in the opera house, the concert hall, the dance world, in film and in popular music - simultaneously. Much of his early work was based on the extended reiteration of brief, elegant melodic fragments that wove in and out of an aural tapestry. Or, to put it another way, it immersed a listener in a sort of sonic weather that twists, turns, surrounds, develops.
In the past 25 years, Glass has composed more than twenty-five operas, large and small; twelve symphonies; three piano concertos and concertos for violin, piano, timpani, and saxophone quartet and orchestra; soundtracks to films ranging from new scores for the stylized classics of Jean Cocteau to Errol Morris's documentary about former defense secretary Robert McNamara; string quartets; a growing body of work for solo piano and organ.
Available on vinyl for the first time as a limited and numbered edition of 1500 copies. The package includes an 8-page booklet, glossy picture, and info on the Philip Glass series on Music On Vinyl, coming in 2020 / 2021.
- 180 gram audiophile vinyl
- Deluxe Lift-off Box Set with blue foil embossing
- Includes 4 printed innersleeves, an 8-page booklet + glossy picture
- Includes booklet with info on the Philip Glass series on Music On Vinyl, coming in 2020 / 2021
- The best / most memorable selections from Naqoyqatsi, Einstein On The Beach, Satyagraha, Akhnaten, In the Upper Room, Songs from Liquid Days, The Photographer, Glassworks, Itaipu and more
- Collaborations with Suzanne Vega, Linda Ronstadt, the Kronos Quartet and Yo-Yo Ma
- Available on vinyl for the first time
- Limited of edition 1500 individually numbered copies